Raised Ink and Spot UV cards are the modern-day version of thermographic business cards. The difference is now you can apply as many colors as you would like without the additional cost and you can pinpoint the raised ink or the Spot UV area by masking the artwork.
How to prepare the Raised & Spot UV business card artwork:
You need to create one additional file for the Raised / Spot UV masked area on the card. Here are the steps.
- Duplicate your business card file and name that file as "XYZ-mask.pdf."
- From the XYZ-mask.pdf file, delete or take out the card elements that are not part of the mask area.
- Now, take the remaining masked area on the card and change the color to black color 0/0/0/100, and then save the file.
What not to do when masking the Raised Spot UV business card.
- Don't work with flattened png or jpg files. For the best results use the layers.
- Don't work with the RGB color palette. Must use the CMYK setting.
- Don't mask the small text area. We recommend staying above 8pt letters.
- Don't mask small detailed areas. It may get clogged up in the masked area.
- Don't mask any of the gradient areas on the artwork, a fuzzy area on the card. Mask only the one solid colored area.
- Don't mask the area too close to the edge of the card. It can create problems in production.
- Don't just use any black color to mask the area. Use 0/0/0/100 black color only.
- Don't move around the masked area to avoid registration issues.